What To Pack On A Sailing Charter Holiday
If you are heading off on a luxury yacht sailing trip, then it is time to start thinking about what to pack for your getaway. We are all aware of the basics: floaty dresses, flip flops, light shirts, sun hats and sun cream, but there are a few other things worth knowing about that you should pack.
Here is the list of things we pack to give you some idea of what to bring if you have never sailed on a charter before. Some items like snorkel and fishing gear may already be on your charter yacht so check before leaving home.
- Your passport – Your passport needs to be valid for 6 months past your entry date.
- Bag. It should be soft sided as there is not much storage. We like the waterproof North Face backpack duffle
- Camera. Preferably waterproof:
- Your phone. Check to make sure you have international roaming.
- Kindle or books. with a case like this neoprene one or a waterproof case
- Dry bag. To carry all your stuff in the dinghy:
- Sunglasses. Preferably polarized:
- Strap for sunglasses.
- Rashguard shirt for snorkeling:
- Shorts. Just a couple of pairs. Quick drying, non cotton is best.
- T-shirts. Quick drying, non cotton is best.
- 1 semi-nice outfit. Khaki shorts, button up shirt or a sundress.
- Rain jacket.
- Shoes. Non marking soles with toe protection for the boat. Water shoes for shore.
- Water bottles.
- Fishing gear and snorkel gear (if not provided onboard your charter boat)
Don’t forget to pack your passport and sailing licenses, as well as shampoos, shower gels and toothpaste. A power bank is a great idea to ensure that your phone is charged at all times. Don’t forget towels, dry bags, insect repellent and some evening wear, too. Sea sickness medication is also handy to have on board, just in case.
Now that all the serious stuff is out of the way, you can make some room for the fun items. Pack a deck of playing cards for some great evening entertainment. Compile your favourite summer playlist to blast out on a sunny day at sea. A waterproof phone case can be a great idea to protect your phone and help you get the best pictures. Don’t forget to bring a travel journal - you’ll want to remember this trip forever, and there's nothing better than writing at anchor on a glistening sea..
What Not To pack
You do not need to bring any cooking utensils, as these will be provided on board. First aid kits, nautical charts, bedding, speakers and any yacht equipment will also be provided.